How to Assemble an Urban Survival Kit
is an effective way to ensure you are prepared and organized in the event of a disaster.
In the event that a disaster does occur, you may find you are required to survive without the help of everyday comforts such as electricity or running water. Preparing for such a circumstance ahead of time is imperative.
Urban Survival Kit Deluxe for Four People When assembling your urban survival kit, start by packing the basics.
The following is a list of appropriate items to be packed in an urban survival kit Emergency Zone 840-2 Urban Survival Bug Out Bag Emergency Disaster Kit, 2 Person, Black New Price: $139.99 Old Price: $134.99 You Save: :
1) Food and Water: In the event that you are unable to obtain food or water from external sources during a disaster, be prepared. Have enough food and water on hand to last each member of the family for at least three days. Depending on the type of disaster you are planning for, you may like to store enough food for up to two weeks. The most reliable way of storing water in your survival kit will be to purchase commercially bottled water, as this will provide a safe form of drinking water in the event of a disaster. Current recommendations for water intake stand at approximately two liters of water per day per person. Take this into account when preparing your survival kit CHANGKU Emergency Survival Kits 11-in-1, Multi Professional Tools Outdoor Gear Kit for Traveling/Hiking/Biking/Climbing/Hunting New Price: $43.89 Old Price: $43.89 You Save: $17.90 , to ensure you store enough water for all members of the family. While commercially bottled water is the safest way of storing water for an emergency, there are other methods that may be applied. You may choose to prepare your own bottles of water. If this is the case, try to purchase appropriate containers from a camping supplies store and be sure to clean these thoroughly. If you will be selecting your own containers, aim for bottles that previously held soft drinks. Do not use milk or juice containers as these may contain protein and sugar residue that could result in the growth of harmful bacteria in your water stores. Again, be sure to clean the containers thoroughly. Once you have obtained and cleaned your containers, fill them with water and seal the lid tightly. When you are packing food supplies for the family, avoid foods high in salt (as these will make you thirsty and want to drink more). Ensure you select canned or dry foods that do not require refrigeration. If canned foods are included in your kit, be sure you pack a can opener! If a member of your family has special food requirements, be sure you take this into account and include appropriate food for them.
2) Flashlight with extra Batteries: Remember, in the event of a disaster you may be required to fend for yourself without the luxuries of everyday life, including electricity. Be prepared by having a flashlight or some form of lighting device ready.
3) Portable, Battery-operated television or radio: Packing one of these items will enable you stay up-to date with the current situation and procedures being carried out. Be sure these items are battery powered so as not to rely on electricity.
4) First Aid Kit: A first aid kit First Aid Only All-Purpose First Aid Essentials Kit, 299 Pieces, Fabric Case New Price: $13.82 Old Price: $26.74 You Save: $12.92 is imperative in any survival kit. Along with any minor injuries, in the event of something more extreme you may find yourself unable to make it to a hospital or that hospital services are ‘backed up’ if a disaster strikes. Be sure you have packed a first aid kit to tide you over until you are able to attend a hospital.
5) Sanitary Items: These may include toilet paper, paper towels, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, or any other form of sanitary product you think may be required.
6) Kitchen/ Cooking utensils: In the event of an evacuation you may require utensils with which to cook. Pack the basics, such as a saucepan, a frying pan and a few spoons etc. Do not go overboard and pack the kitchen sink. Remember, you may be required to carry your urban survival kit. If you have some sort of portable cooking device it may be worthwhile packing this as well. Suitable cooking devices may include candle warmers, fondue sets (for indoor use) or camp stoves Coleman Classic Propane Stove New Price: $39.00 Old Price: $49.99 You Save: $10.99 (for outdoor use) Along with the cooking items, pack a box of matches in a watertight container Outdoor Products Watertight Box, Large, Dress Blues New Price: Old Price: $17.00 You Save: . A butane light (or several) may come in handy. These may be helpful in any situation.
7) Photocopies of all Identification: Pack these and copies of credit cards, bank account info, birth certificates, and any other vital paperwork in case all original documentation is lost.
8) Extra clothes and blankets: The climate in which you live will ultimately determine the type of clothing you pack. Dress in layers and have wind and water resistant clothing as well. Pack sufficient clothing to last a few days. You will be grateful for doing so in the event of an evacuation.
9) Money: Be prepared and have some money on hand. In the event of an emergency, ATM machines or credit card facilities may no longer be available. You may have something of value to barter with, so take that into consideration as well. Cash is important. Have small bills.
10) Relevant Medications: If you or anyone else in your family suffers from a medical condition, be sure you pack a sufficient amount of relevant medications or medical equipment, as it may not be possible to obtain these in the event of a disaster. Make sure you do a regular check of the “use by date” of medications included in the urban survival kit.
The above list is a very basic guide to follow to ensure a well equipped urban survival kit. Every family is different and will have individual needs. Be sure to take these into account to personalize your personal survival kit Survival Kit EMDMAK Outdoor Emergency Gear Kit for Camping Hiking Travelling or Adventures (Black) New Price: $15.88 Old Price: $15.88 You Save: . As your family grows and changes, remember to update the kit to allow it to cater for you families requirements.
One thing that was not listed is a means of protection from aggressive intruders, thieves, or just crazed people who want what you have. This is a very personal choice so I leave this up to you to decide where you stand on this issue.
Once you have developed an urban survival kit, it is important to maintain it. Keep it stored and sealed in an environment in which food remains cool and dry, to maximize the life of the dried or canned foods. Remember to regularly check the items in your survival kit and dispose of any canned foods that are dented, and any foods that exceed their use by date. It is recommended that all food and water be replaced every six months. As you dispose of items, be sure to replenish them.
Urban Survival Kit Deluxe for Four People
Here is a great video that is worth watching. There is so much more listed in this video than is listed above. Take notes.
Wasn’t that an informative video? This is one of the better videos on the subject of what you may consider in your own urban survival kit.
PS. We just took a trip out east where a storm knocked out power. Seeing how we prepared our van for sleeping (just in case of emergency) we were able to pull over and sleep in a Walmart parking lot with ease. It pays to be prepared. To go back to the top – http://urbansurvivalkit.net/
Be prepared, stay alive,